When someone mentions ‘unity in diversity’, one thinks about the preamble of India. However, this saying perfectly fits on the Lord Shiva family as well, which can safely be called the “The First Family of Hinduism”.
Each member of Shiva’s family is unlike other and yet they share a special boding. Especially, the carriers of the gods of Shiva family are zoological foes. While snake graces the neck of Lord Shiva, his son Kartikeya’s carrier is a peacock and snake is a prey of peacocks. Similarly, Lord Ganesha’s carrier is a mouse, who this time is a prey of snakes. Parvati is synonymous with power and her carrier is charismatic lion, but Lord Shiva’s carrier is Nandi, a bull. As per food chain, bulls are being hunted by lions. Despite all these diversities, Lord Shiva and his family spend life happily at the Kailash Parvat.
The diversities, discrepancies and disagreements never spoiled the relations among the family members of Lord Shiva, as the head (Shiva) holds the poison in his throat. Thus the family of Lord Shiva is the best example of unity in diversity. The family of Lord Ganesha too followed suit.
Let’s have a glance on the family members of Lord Ganesha :
Father and Mother : Shiva and Parvati
Brothers : Kartikeya (elder brother) is the most famous brother of Ganesha. However, he has four brothers like Sukesh, Jalandhar, Aiyappa and Bhuma.
Sisters : Ashok Sundari is the sister of Lord Ganesha. However, Lord Shiva had several Naag kanya daughters like Jaya, Vishhar, Shamilbari, Dev and Dotli, who can be called sisters of Ganesha. Ashok Sundari was married to Nahusha.
Wives : Ganesha has five wives. First two Riddhi and Siddhi are well known. Others are Tushti, Pushti and Shri.
Sons : Lord Ganesh has Two sons in Shubh and Labh and his grandsons are called Amod and Pramod.
More facts about Ganesha
- Ganesha is Lord of water
- Red flowers are his favorites
- He lovs Durva or Duub (a type of grass) and Shami leaves
- Pash and Ankush are his main armory
- During Satyuga Ganpati’s carrier was Lion. During Tretayug Ganesha’s carrier was peacock. During Dwapar mouse became his carrier. In Kalyug he rides a Horse.
- The Jap Mantra of Ganesha is is “Om Gam Ganpatye Namaha.”
- Ladoo’s made of Besan and Modak’s are relished by Ganesha.
- Ganesh Stuti, Ganesh Chalisa, Ganesh Arti, Shri Ganesh Sahastranamavali are the forms of worshippings of Ganesha.
- There are 12 main names of Ganesha. They are Sumukh, Ekanth, Kapil, Gajkarnak, Lambodar, Vikat, Vighnavinashak, Vinayaka, Dhumtaketu, Ganadhyaksha, Bhalchandra, Gajanana