Days after girl’s death in Kerala, 3 students hospitalised after eating rotten shawarma in TN

Friday, 6 May 2022 (15:36 IST)
Thanjavur: Three students of Government Veterinary College and Research Institute were hospitalised due to suspected food poisoning after they ate shawarma at an eatery in Orathanadu in this district late on Thursday.

Police said the students Praveen (22), Manikandan (22) and Parimaleswaran (21), who were staying in the hostel, skipped the dinner provided by the college hostel and consumed shawarma from the eatery.

After returning to the hostel, the students complained of vomiting, nausea, loose motions and stomach pain. They were immediately taken to the government hospital at Orathanadu for treatment.

After overnight treatment, the affected students were shifted to Thanjavur Government Medical College Hospital for better medical treatment.

Hospital sources said the students were recovering and their condition was stable.

Police and food safety department officials inspected the eatery and collected the samples of Shawarma for testing. Further investigation is underway.

Meanwhile, close on the heels of the death of a girl student after eating rotten shawarma in Kerala, the Food Safety Department officials raided around 100 restaurants, mostly shawarma eateries in Madurai district in the last two days.

About ten kg of stale chicken meat was seized and destroyed during the raids.

Notices were issued to eight non-vegetarian restaurants for flouting food safety rules by stocking stale meat in refrigerators and using non-permitted colouring agents in the preparation of chicken. (UNI)

Read on Webdunia

Related Article